In the first few minutes of your lessons, what tips/ tricks have you discovered for settling the class and making a smooth start/ smooth transition?
I’ve picked up a few things along the way - but feel free to ‘reply’ with your tried and tested ideas!
- Meet your pupils at the classroom door - greet them as you would an adult, and use the time to give any reminders or ‘polite’ notices about their uniform etc.
- Have something to get on with - as pupils are walking in, or on the board/ their desks ready, have a short activity to get on with and to wake their brains up!
- Have someone who hands books/ work out for you as soon as they enter - it helps to use the same people, to build up a routine.
- Share the learning objectives and reason for covering this with pupils - handy to have it ready on the board/ PowerPoint slide etc and to take them through it. You can also get pupils to ‘explain’ back to you, and the class, what you’ll be doing and why.
- Be Welcoming - A positive start is much more likely to create a positive atmosphere and environment. Treat pupils with some respect. If you had a difficult lesson last time, don’t carry it forward in to this new lesson.
What about your ideas? x